Friday, 16 October 2015

Review: Losing the Plot in LA by Sonia Farnsworth!



I want to start this review with a massive thank you to the author, Sonia Farnsworth, for sending me a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review.


SUMMARY AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:


Sylvie is missing her boyfriend, cuddling with her dog and keeping up with her insane friends. That's her life at the moment. A New Year is approaching and though all she wants to do is get her mind off her messed up life, she might end up regretting going to that party. Or maybe that party is all she needed.



Tragically romantic and hilarious novel to have a great and intense time, is how I would describe this book.

I picked this book up because I wanted something not too long to read between exams and I was completely surprised by how wrong I was. Yes, it is a short and thin book, but... I swear it has the most intense 184 pages I've ever read. There is not a single scene where you can take a break and simply relax. No. The constant over-thinking and balancing of every thing the main character goes through could keep you awake for days. Not even exaggerating (I'm writing this completely exhausted after a day studying maths and reading this book).

I think the thing I enjoyed the most is that it's a pretty believable and realistic story. I was amazed by how understandable each character's POV was. 

It's a very simple story but it's absolutely realistic, maybe even relatable. Every situation the characters are put through actually happens in real life and I think that's great because that way people can relate to the characters and the story as a whole.

It was absolutely funny. I had a lot of fun and found myself smiling and even laughing out loud more than once. The best (and worst) thing is that I laughed at things that were actually sad and surprising, maybe even nerve-wrecking and annoying, such as betrayals and heartbreaks, but it was pretty hilarious and I couldn't help it.

Sylvie's friends were pretty enjoyable and funny. I loved reading about them. 

I really loved some quotes from the book, specially the ones about dogs and pets in general. I'm an animal lover (hopefully future vet) and I couldn't agree more with some thoughts the main character shared with us.

Every single character was believable and enjoyable. I am sure at least one of the characters reminds the reader to someone from their actual lives (maybe even themselves!). I really liked that.

I believed the relationships and betrayals, the friendships, the whole situation. 

I want to give my opinion over a quite discussed topic, which is the writing style. Now, while some people might say it's immature, I must admit I really liked it. 

Losing the plot in LA is a very contemporary and modern story and I think its writing style represented it very well. I don't think it could have been better written, not this story. 

I'm not saying it was flawless, but it was on point and really well coordinated with not only the story but the characters' personalities too.

Feelings are absolutely well represented and any action and decision any character makes is extremely understandable. Maybe you don't agree with them but you totally understand why it's like that.

The character development is kind of mind-blowing. I read this book pretty fast so I didn't really notice at the time, but after reading THE END in the last page I was left thinking wow

In a way, I could compare this to a Rainbow Rowell novel because both authors write about things that could happen in real life, and I think that's awesome. 

I want to read more books by Sonia Farnsworth, which is cool because she is already writing her second novel.


MY RATING:


No comments:

Post a Comment