Monday, 23 May 2016

Review: Honey Girl by Lisa Freeman.




Thank you so much, Lisa and Lauren, for sending me the book in exchange for an honest review. 

SUMMARY AND SPOILER-FREE REVIEW:

I think this book is a major critique to society, and I loved it. I could perfectly believe the situations the characters were put in, the way they acted... It was believable for the most part. 

Our main character has just moved out of Hawaii and wants to be accepted into her new home, Santa Monica, so she works her way to get into the lineup. This was a great comparison to real life friendships: you want to get into a certain group of friends, so you change your personality and do things you probably wouldn't do if you weren't put in that situation, just to be accepted. I personally liked that aspect of the novel, because it is what I see people do, and I absolutely hate how we must change just to please some others and get them to like us back. But it doesn't matter how much I hate it, because it's always happened and it's going to keep on happening, and Lisa Freeman did a great job writing it down.

About the characters, I must admit I did not connect with any of them in particular, but I was okay with them. I would have probably liked it better if there weren't that many characters to think about, because I ended up not remembering most of them.

Family is an important factor of the story, and probably the one I enjoyed the most. Nani dealing with her dad's death and disagreeing with her mom's choices felt very real. She is a young girl put in a very hard situation, and I think it was pretty well handled by the author. 


Frienship and family take love to the back of the story, and eventhough I got into the book expecting crazy love dramas, I am very happy it was not like that. As the premise of the book says, there are some LGBTQ+ aspects in the story, but I was not as pleased as I thought I would. I would have liked it to take a more important spot than it did. I don't want to spoil anything, so I am going to leave it here. I think it should have been a more relevant and carefully built topic. 

The author has a very peculiar writing style, and at some points I felt a bit lost and had no idea of what was foing on -there were also some Hawaiian references I did not really catch. However, it is well written and definitely worth the read. 

It is a really entertaining novel, with a kind of slow beginning but a very fun and unique plotline. I would definitely recommend it for those of you who like reading books about friends, family, love and acceptance that take place in the summertime. I highly suggest you to pick it up this summer and maybe share with me your opinion on it, because I haven't really read any and I would like to see what everyone else thinks about it.

Honey Girl is, overall, a book about changing your old life and fighting to fit into the new one. Friendships, betrayal, romance... a very entertaining and enjoyable summery story.

MY RATING:


No comments:

Post a Comment