Friday, 5 August 2016

Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas.


SUMMARY AND REVIEW (SPOILERS):

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire-for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past...
She has embraced her identity as Aelin Galathynius, Queen of Terrasen. But before she can reclaim her throne, she must fight.
She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.
Celaena's epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena's story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.

In Throne of Glass we got mistery and romance, in Crown of Midnight we got fantasy, in Heir of Fire we got magic, in Queen of Shadows... chaos.

This novel gets absolutely insane. We get to know some new characters such as Lyssandra and Nesryn, and some already-known-but-never-properly-introduced, like Arobynn.

Definitely a great story and character developement, action packed and fast-paced, everything meticulously planned to make sense and fit into the wild and brutal world Sarah J. Maas has created.

My favourite scene is definitely the one in which Aelin and Dorian hold hands, reunite all their power, and destroy the castle together. Not just because it was a real cute Celorian scene, but having Dorian come back to his human self and team up with Aelin to destroy the world was absolutely spectacular.

Aelin (still Celaena in my heart), went through crazy character deveolpement. She is a complete different person than who Sarah J. Maas introduced us in the first book in the series. Her strength and bavery are probably one of the best things of the saga, adding that femenist touch. The way she needs no one to survive and is not scared of dying if it means saving her people... such a great literary role model.

Dorian definitely shattered my weak and unready heart. I was super sad that he was going thorugh such a horrible time, and reading from his desesperate human part left was exhausing and upsetting. I wanted him to be free and happy all over again, but we barely saw him as himself. And what about him being left alone in the castle again? I really hope he suffers no more.

Dorian and Celaena could get together and their countries together would be awesome and kickass. I am still hoping something between the two of them will happen in the two books left. Come on, they both are going to go through the same things, since they are both new to the ruling a country thing. they could team up and eventually fall in love...

Rowan, I like. He's a nice and cute boy and I love how he protects his queen and how he is willing to give it all to save her. I really like him, but I don't want him to keep Aelin's heart. I would actually love having him with Lyssandra, and i hadn't thought of it until now.

About Chaol... I enjoyed so much how his relationship with Aelin was completely broken and changed. I am not going to lie, having them romantically involved in Crown of Midnight still hurts. I don't want them to have that past in common. However, I very muche enjoyed that conversation they have towards the end of the book, when Aelin encourages him to be with Nesryn, bcause he deserves to be happy. I actually would like him to be with Nesryn. You see, I have very controversial feelings for chaol. I hate him sometimes, but I want him to be happy as well.

Aedion is probably one of my favourite people of the book. I love him so much! I actually shipped him with Aelin eventhough I know they're cousins! It's just terribly cute how much they care for each other. The blood oath thing was heartbreaking. He wanted to take it so badly, but Rowan had already done it. It was cute how Rowan was kind of like an idol and how both of them were territorial over their queen. I just love how loyal they are to her.

Manon is getting better and better and I love seing her progress and how she is slowly becoming a nice and more human being. She got feelings for Dorian! However, I do not want them to end up together, mostly because I will go down with Celorian and partly because as cute as I think Manon is getting, I don't think she will be good enough for my boy.

After hating Manon and The Thirteen in Heir Of Fire, I came to enjoy reading about them a lot in this fourth book. They are going through crazy developement and it is wonderfully done, perfectly paced and well-structured.

I really have no words to explain what this book is about, because it is about so many things... I literally do not know what the hell happened in those 650 pages, but I know I enjoyed every single one of them.

The King died! But before that, he told Aelin some crazy things that will take the lead in Empire of Storms, I guess. Things got extremely wild, as you may have noticed!

What do I expect from Empire of Storms?

I really want Celaena and Dorian to get romantically involved, but I know Aelin and Rowan will be together and maybe even Dorian and Manon.

I hope Manon and Aelin become allies and fight together against whatever it is they will have to face in the future.

I expect a lot of madness and magic, plently of new characters and names, and a terrible cliff-hanger at the end of the book, since it will be the last ending with a next book in the series, so it will be the last chance to have a mind-blowing ending.

I hope we get a lot of romance and drama, because I honestly love it so much when love intertwines with the crazy fantasy.

MY RATING:


No comments:

Post a Comment